ZION WILL DUNK home
After starting out in soccer and football, Zion Williamson fell in love with basketball at the age of five. At that point, he decided to put his energy into becoming the best basketball player he would be. Fast forward over a dozen years later and Williamson is being talked about as the next transcendent basketball player. At 6’7 and 260 pounds with an otherworldly vertical leap, what most notice about Zion on the basketball court is his combination of size and athleticism, and the dunks. Oh, Zion Will Dunk.
However, there have been more countless basketball players with the talent, athleticism, and size that never panned out. What makes Williamson special is his high basketball IQ and his ability to understand how best to maximize his skills, talent and abilities to perform not only on an individual level, but in ways that help his teams win.
That rare combination of brains and brawn has made Williamson the consensus #1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Most see the dunks and highlights, but Zion is much more than your everyday dunker, and luckily NBA teams (and basketball heads) know that.
“I kind of hate being classified as a dunker,” Williamson told ESPN. “Coach (Mike Krzyzewski) wouldn’t have recruited me if I was just a dunker. But I guess people on the outside don’t understand that. I can’t play to impress other people. I’m playing to get better for myself and my teammates.”
And if Williamson was solely a human highlight reel and now much else, he certainly wouldn’t have won so many high school championships nor would he have been joined fellow transcendent hoopers Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis as the only Freshmen to ever be voted the consensus National College Player of the Year.
Nor would Zion have been voted AP player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year or named a consensus first-team All-American among many other awards and accomplishments during his one season at Duke.
- Zion Williamson could lead strong, intriguing New Orleans Pelicans offense - NBC Sports
- Behind the scenes at NBA's Rookie Photo Shoot - NBA.com
- How Brandon Ingram will adjust with Zion Williamson back - Pelican Debrief
- Pelicans Have Sleeper Value Picks In Fantasy Formats - Sports Illustrated
- Five Takeaways From NBA Training Camp - Sports Illustrated
- Ja Morant and Zion Williamson figure in NBA MVP odds, and then some - Charleston Post Courier
- If NBA Players Had Regular Jobs, Zion Williamson Would Be A Bodyguard, Russell Westbrook Would Be A Construction Worker, Kyrie Irving Would Be Unemployed - Fadeaway World
- Take an Official Look at the Zion Williamson x Air Jordan 1 Low OG "Voodoo" - HYPEBEAST
- Zion Williamson and the New Orleans Pelicans are changing the narrative | Locked On Pelicans - WWLTV.com
- With Jae Crowder on way out, Cam Johnson starter for Phoenix Suns - The Arizona Republic
- "They were barnburners, it was a battle” – NBA analyst believes Pelicans could win games if the team can adjust to Zion Williamson's game - Sportskeeda
- Which teams will be the surprises of the NBA season? - Marca English
- Zion Williamson could soon follow in footsteps of Michael Jordan - The Bird Writes
- NBA Notes: Cavs, Darius Garland, Pelicans, Zion Williamson, Raptors - Yardbarker
- Over or under on the Pelicans win total for the 2022-23 season? - Pelican Debrief