ZION WILL DUNK home
After starting out in soccer and football, Zion Williamson fell in love with basketball at the age of five. At that point, he decided to put his energy into becoming the best basketball player he would be. Fast forward over a dozen years later and Williamson is being talked about as the next transcendent basketball player. At 6’7 and 260 pounds with an otherworldly vertical leap, what most notice about Zion on the basketball court is his combination of size and athleticism, and the dunks. Oh, Zion Will Dunk.
However, there have been more countless basketball players with the talent, athleticism, and size that never panned out. What makes Williamson special is his high basketball IQ and his ability to understand how best to maximize his skills, talent and abilities to perform not only on an individual level, but in ways that help his teams win.
That rare combination of brains and brawn has made Williamson the consensus #1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Most see the dunks and highlights, but Zion is much more than your everyday dunker, and luckily NBA teams (and basketball heads) know that.
“I kind of hate being classified as a dunker,” Williamson told ESPN. “Coach (Mike Krzyzewski) wouldn’t have recruited me if I was just a dunker. But I guess people on the outside don’t understand that. I can’t play to impress other people. I’m playing to get better for myself and my teammates.”
And if Williamson was solely a human highlight reel and now much else, he certainly wouldn’t have won so many high school championships nor would he have been joined fellow transcendent hoopers Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis as the only Freshmen to ever be voted the consensus National College Player of the Year.
Nor would Zion have been voted AP player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year or named a consensus first-team All-American among many other awards and accomplishments during his one season at Duke.
- Zion Williamson replicates 16-year-old Shaquille O’Neal record after dominant month - ClutchPoints
- The way the San Antonio Spurs defended Zion Williamson was a sign of things to come - NOLA.com
- 'Give me LeBron James, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Zion Williamson': Lakers legend Shaquille O'Neal... - The Sportsrush
- Western Conference leader Utah and New Orleans square off - Rock Hill Herald
- Zion Williamson has honest take on Pelicans’ piling losses - ClutchPoints
- Pelicans' Zion Williamson: Career-high 15 boards - CBSSports.com
- Zion Williamson Continues His Scoring Excellence; Second Only Behind Michael Jordan in New Record - EssentiallySports
- Zion Williamson breaks down on-court relationship with Lonzo Ball: 'Our games complement each other's' - Lonzo Wire
- Zion Williamson breaks down on-court relationship with Lonzo Ball: ‘Our games complement each other’s’ - Yahoo Sports
- Zion, Giannis or Luka: Who is the next face of the NBA? - FOXSports.com
- New Orleans Pelicans vs. San Antonio Spurs Live Score and Stats - February 27, 2021 Gametracker - CBSSports.com
- NBA Analyst On Zion Williamson: 'He Was Supposed To Be The Next LeBron James, So H*ll No He Hasn't Lived Up To The Hype!' - Fadeaway World
- LeBron James vs. Zion Williamson: Stats Prove How the Pelicans Star Surpassed the King in First 50 Games - EssentiallySports
- Duke basketball: Zion Williamson goes toe-to-toe with two-time MVP - Ball Durham
- Knicks rookie Obi Toppin reportedly taking part in Dunk Contest - NBC Sports