ZION WILL DUNK home
After starting out in soccer and football, Zion Williamson fell in love with basketball at the age of five. At that point, he decided to put his energy into becoming the best basketball player he would be. Fast forward over a dozen years later and Williamson is being talked about as the next transcendent basketball player. At 6’7 and 260 pounds with an otherworldly vertical leap, what most notice about Zion on the basketball court is his combination of size and athleticism, and the dunks. Oh, Zion Will Dunk.
However, there have been more countless basketball players with the talent, athleticism, and size that never panned out. What makes Williamson special is his high basketball IQ and his ability to understand how best to maximize his skills, talent and abilities to perform not only on an individual level, but in ways that help his teams win.
That rare combination of brains and brawn has made Williamson the consensus #1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Most see the dunks and highlights, but Zion is much more than your everyday dunker, and luckily NBA teams (and basketball heads) know that.
“I kind of hate being classified as a dunker,” Williamson told ESPN. “Coach (Mike Krzyzewski) wouldn’t have recruited me if I was just a dunker. But I guess people on the outside don’t understand that. I can’t play to impress other people. I’m playing to get better for myself and my teammates.”
And if Williamson was solely a human highlight reel and now much else, he certainly wouldn’t have won so many high school championships nor would he have been joined fellow transcendent hoopers Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis as the only Freshmen to ever be voted the consensus National College Player of the Year.
Nor would Zion have been voted AP player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year or named a consensus first-team All-American among many other awards and accomplishments during his one season at Duke.
- Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson said he's in 'good shape,' and the pictures from the weight room prove it - CBS Sports
- Sean Deveney: NBA clearly wanted Zion Williamson as part of re-start, not convinced Lakers are clear favorite with the Clippers getting healthy - 92.3 The Fan
- LeBron James, Zion Williamson, New York Yankees among those back in action - KFSN-TV
- LeBron James, Zion Williamson, New York Yankees among those back in action - KABC-TV
- Transcript: Pelicans forward Zion Williamson media availability - July 2, 2020 - Pelicans.com
- Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson named Next Gen NBA 2K21 cover athlete - KALB News
- Pelicans' Zion Williamson masked has NBA world in frenzy - WGMD Radio
- Zion Williamson worked to stay in shape during quarantine - ESPN
- Zion Williamson got shredded during NBA hiatus, and now Twitter is ready for Pelicans star to dominate - Sporting News
- Zion Williamson's ripped post-quarantine workout photo is getting Bane comparisons - For The Win
- Pelicans' Zion Williamson Focused on Conditioning, Skills, Teammates Amid Hiatus - Bleacher Report
- Zion Williamson Comes Out of Quarantine Looking Like The Incredible Hulk (PIC) - Total Pro Sports
- Everything is Game: Damian Lillard, Zion Williamson and Kobe Bryant are the Cover Athletes for NBA® 2K21 - WV News
- Zion Williamson on cover of NBA 2K21 draws complaints from fans - Fox News
- Zion Williamson on cover of NBA 2K21 draws complaints from fans - WGMD Radio