ZION WILL DUNK home
After starting out in soccer and football, Zion Williamson fell in love with basketball at the age of five. At that point, he decided to put his energy into becoming the best basketball player he would be. Fast forward over a dozen years later and Williamson is being talked about as the next transcendent basketball player. At 6’7 and 260 pounds with an otherworldly vertical leap, what most notice about Zion on the basketball court is his combination of size and athleticism, and the dunks. Oh, Zion Will Dunk.
However, there have been more countless basketball players with the talent, athleticism, and size that never panned out. What makes Williamson special is his high basketball IQ and his ability to understand how best to maximize his skills, talent and abilities to perform not only on an individual level, but in ways that help his teams win.
That rare combination of brains and brawn has made Williamson the consensus #1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Most see the dunks and highlights, but Zion is much more than your everyday dunker, and luckily NBA teams (and basketball heads) know that.
“I kind of hate being classified as a dunker,” Williamson told ESPN. “Coach (Mike Krzyzewski) wouldn’t have recruited me if I was just a dunker. But I guess people on the outside don’t understand that. I can’t play to impress other people. I’m playing to get better for myself and my teammates.”
And if Williamson was solely a human highlight reel and now much else, he certainly wouldn’t have won so many high school championships nor would he have been joined fellow transcendent hoopers Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis as the only Freshmen to ever be voted the consensus National College Player of the Year.
Nor would Zion have been voted AP player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year or named a consensus first-team All-American among many other awards and accomplishments during his one season at Duke.
- 76ers Land Cam Reddish In Major Trade Scenario - NBA Analysis Network
- Air Jordan 1 Mid Lakers DQ8426-517 Release Info | HYPEBEAST - HYPEBEAST
- Which NBA teams should face off on Christmas Day? - BasketballNews.com
- Duke basketball champ likely to play on Christmas Day - Sports Illustrated
- NBA Expansion Mock Draft: What would an expansion team look like? - BasketballNews.com
- Community Shootaround: Christmas Day Games - hoopsrumors.com
- 'Stupidest thing ever': LeBron James slammed by ex-lottery pick - ClutchPoints
- Five NBA Teams to Watch in 2023 - Last Word On Sports
- Celebrate International Left-Handers Day with the Rockets - The Dream Shake
- Here’s how the Knicks can construct a championship team - Daily Knicks
- Duke basketball: 2016 re-draft has Blue Devil going first - Sports Illustrated
- The Pelicans’ playoff run was unique in the modern NBA - Pelican Debrief
- Southwest Notes: Pelicans, Ntilikina, Green - hoopsrumors.com
- Zion Air Jordan 1 Low OG Voodoo DZ7292-200 Release Info | HYPEBEAST - HYPEBEAST
- Season Review: 2021-22 - NBA.com